Thursday 22 March 2012

This week's focus - pace (what's that??!)

One area I have struggled with from the start of this training is pacing myself. My training plan calls for 4 different sppeds/effort - 'easy'; 'steady'; 'tough' intrevals; 'challenging' threshold running.... I seem to have 2 gears only - flat out or not flat out and definitely forget ever having a negative split.

On my long run this week (3 hours, 19 miles :-) ), I was determined to take it 'easy'. Several times I had to talk to myself.."go slower" "go slower"...yet still I was doing 8 min 35 miles at the beginning and not far off 10 min miles by the end. Wth hindsight, a garmin (or similar) would have been handy for all this training as I don't have instant feedback on my speed, I am just going on how I feel and my time at mile intervals.

This Sunday I am doing Wilmslow half marathon so am even more determined to run at a more sensible pace for the first half and not let the race occasion take over. My mental arithmetic is going to be seriously tested woking out my speed with my trusty 16 yr old stopwatch. The focus continues!!!

PS Got my marathon registration form and magazine in the post today - I got butterflies in my stomach just reading it!

PPS One month today and it'll all be over! :-)

1 comment: