Friday 9 March 2012

Staff Review: Mammut Monolith Gtx

Just like a lot of people I know who climb and mountaineer, I'd found a pair of boots some years ago that fitted me well and did what I wanted and expected a B2 technical boot to do, and used them year on year.  But technology moves on, so I was really surprised at the difference when I first tried the Mammut Monolith.

If you pick up a Mammut Monolith boot, even without wearing it, the first thing that strikes you is how light they are for such a tall boot!

Construction wise, the upper is comprised of abrasion resistant velour leather, Dropstop textile and a Gore-Tex lining. A full rubber rand runs around the boot to add longevity and absorb rock related punishment. The boot is board lasted with a Vibram outsole which has widely spaced lugs and a dedicated 'Climbing Zone' at the front and available in UK half sizes.

Slip a pair on and the fit is very precise as well thanks to asymmetric lacing and Mammut's Base Fit which transfers the force of lacing to the sole and puts extra pressure over the big toe. What this amounts to is a surprising feeling of precision under the big toe where the Climbing Zone is on the outsole.The Monolith is also very supportive allowing for plenty of flexibility forward and backward but preventing the foot from bending sideways. Overall in terms of fit and feel the boot is substantially lighter, taller, a little more supportive and feels a lot less clumsy than other B2 boots I've worn like the Scarpa Manta or the venerable Salomon Super Mountain Expert.

Accessorising well with orange jacket & boots (caption from Lucy)
The first time I used the Monolith in earnest was over several days of fast moving mixed grade scrambling (which is a tricky mix for any boot) in the Ogwyn Valley and I was quickly struck by how much of a difference the precision and lightness of these boots made. The feeling of control under the big toe in these boots meant I was quite happy to exploit very small holds and often strayed onto easy climbs without a second thought.

As well as generally wearing a rigid boot without thinking about the weight. The additional height on the way up felt both beneficial and very supportive, on the walks down however as you would expect the extra height became more of a hindrance and slowed me down.

Over the last year I've used my Monoliths as my 'go to' option for hard scrambles and general mountaineering and I'm still very much taken with them. I've yet to get a chance to use them under proper winter conditions with long days in crampons but I've no doubt they would perform just as well.

Overall the Mammut Monolith are a superb boot for general UK mountain use or classical Alpinism but the extra height and fit may not be suited to everyone.

So the bottom line. Would I recommend them to you?

Yes I would, especially if your an aspiring mountaineer and are planning to take in a Scottish Winter and want something light, comfortable and precise, then this is a serious contender.


You'll see me coming in mine (seriously you will...mine are bright orange (Royal Oak)).

Boots hard at work...



Chris - Web Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment