Friday 9 March 2012

Dabbling in a bit of Caving

My first foray into caving was on Tuesday.  I've been into French Grottes and some cave systems in the UK that have specially laid out paths and steps to take you round, but this was a step further.
Kit on and Ready to Go

I wasn't sure whether I would like the whole business of crawling through confined spaces so thought a trip down Alderley Edge Copper Mines with the Derbyshire Caving Club would be ideal.  The blurb said anyone welcome over the age of 6, so I knew it wouldn't be too hardcore!

There were about 30 of us (I was only expecting about 10) and they got us all kitted out in our hard hats and lamps and we walked off to the mine entrance looking like a taller version of Seven Dwarfs (obviously more than seven too, so probably not much like the Seven Dwarfs at all!).

I felt pretty over-dressed in full waterproof gear, gaiters and walking boots - one person turned up in a t-shirt and jeans! but although I was little warm when wriggling through the smaller spaces, I was pretty happy that I'd made the effort.  I would have felt more daft turning up without the right gear. No excuses when you work at Campfour.

We went into the Wood Mine part of the Alderley Edge mine system.  It is great - a real rabbit warren.  We only went through a section of it - there were tunnels and chambers leading off all over the place, and the guys from the Derbyshire Caving Club are currently digging out even more of the original tunnels.

Pictures are below...

The guys from Derbyshire Caving Club that took us round were great.  They were able to provide a good deal of history with stories of finding pots of gold coins and working conditions for the miners.  It definitely added to the whole experience.

I found out about this event through the Cheshire East Ranger's Service Events Guide.  The next trip to the Alderley Edge mines is 5th June.  For more information, visit the Cheshire East website or Derbyshire Caving Club website.  Their pictures are much better than mine too!

I was asked whether I would be joining a caving club....I would love to say yes, but I think I prefer climbing up things rather than climbing down things.  I will definitely continue to dabble though!

Lucy - Shop Owner



Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho...
And down we go...

A brief pause for a bit of interesting info

And like underground lemmings, in we all went...

And out we pop again!

Some looking slightly more disheveled than others!

See... copper!

Someone disappearing down Chain Stairs

More Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho...
Gravity Chamber - marks in the lichen, some from the 19th Century

Access vents and doorways

Yet more Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho...

Very dirty but very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment