Tuesday 7 February 2012

Staff Review: Rab Infinity Jacket


I’ve worn a down jacket for years now, even when they weren't trendy (I’m told they are now), and as an Alpinist and Peak District climber its an essential bit of kit.

The first down jacket I bought was a North Face Jacket, that was 15 years ago and now the North Face Down Jacket is a high street fashion icon in its own right. (again, no thanks to me!). Since then, down jackets have come a long way though.

If its possible to have a piece of clothing that epitomises the Peak District in winter to me, its a Rab Down Jacket. Rab have, and still do make some the best products on the market when it comes to keeping you warm. Their jackets are no exception.

My current Rab jacket is an Infinity Jacket (in Blue). When I first got it during the cold spell last winter I was a little unsure about how well it would stand up to daily wear and tear, and the more demanding environment of the crag. Well, a year later and nearly two winters on its still looks, fits and works great!

It’s made from Pertex® Quantum, an ultra light rip stop nylon and I’m really surprised at how strong it actually is. To prove it, I’v not got a single bit of gaffer tape on it stopping the down leaking out! Its has lost a bit of its ‘shine’, but if I’m honest, that's fine with me and the fabric still feels really great.

For insulation, its stuffed with 210g of the best 850 fill European goose down and its overall weight is only 460g, this means its super warm and still packs down to nothing. My last down jacket weighed about 800g and didn’t feel as warmer and was about twice as big when packed.

It goes without saying that the construction of this jacket is fantastic. Rab have put 30 years of know-how into making it, all the details are all their. YKK zips, hand warmer pockets, Lycra edged hood for a great fit and stitched through baffles to hold the down in place. Oh, and it comes with its very own stuff sack.

Although the jacket is designed as a ‘fast and light’ alpine jacket, I use mine nearly every day. If it's not raining it's still the first thing I go for when it's cold. I’ve also been advised by someone who knows about these thing that it looks great too. You only have to look in any high street shop at the moment and there a some really bad rip-offs of this style of jacket out there, and god only knows what insulation they use.

Let's be serious here though, that's not what this jacket is about, its designed as a technical alpine jacket first and foremost, and it does the job amazingly well.

In my opinion, if you want a really light weight down jacket with a great warmth to weight ratio and one that packs down to nothing in your rucksack. I think it’s a great choice.

David - Shop Owner


No comments:

Post a Comment