Monday 13 February 2012

Staff Review: Mountain Equipment Women’s Shroud Jacket

Women’s outdoor gear has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years, with more and more women’s equivalents, and better cut and styling.
Gone are the days of all women’s gear needing to be pink or have flowers on, and now there are women’s specific versions of some of the most technical kit available – hurray!

I’m not saying that I am out there pushing the limits of outdoor activities, but I do occasionally take my gear out for its intended purpose, be it in the Alps, Scottish Winter or at the crag; so knowing that I have gear that is intended for my shape and the use I’m putting it to, gives a certain peace of mind.

One bit of kit that I seem to use almost all the time is my Mountain Equipment Women’s Shroud Jacket. A technical midlayer fleece, it is based on the men’s Shroud Jacket, but has been re-designed for women.  The cut is perfect - figure-hugging but not restrictive – and works well with a surprisingly wide range of women’s shapes.

In addition to what can only be described at a flattering cut, the only other concession to femininity is the range of colours and on the earlier version, coloured zip pulls.  Not too girly, but just enough difference to keep it interesting and allow you to feel good wearing it off the hill too.

The technical specification has not been downgraded in the slightest, with Powerstretch panelling under the arms and around the hood, thumb loops, and cinch cords at the waist.

I have used this in all UK conditions.  The hood is close fitting, ideal for use under a helmet and the Powerstretch gives an extra element of wind repellence – ideal for Scottish Winter ascents.  The slick finish of the Powerstretch on the arms helps with freedom of movement under your jacket, and when worn on its own.

The thumb loops, while not everyone’s cup of tea, I have found to be great.  I do suffer from the cold, so when I’m cycling, these give an extra bit of protection, keeping the transition between gloves and jacket well and truly impenetrable.

On a practical day to day side of things, it washes really well. I’ve had mine for a number of years now and it still looks and feels great. It has lost none of its shape and has not pilled.

I have recommended it to many customers in our shop and everyone I’ve spoken to afterwards has been really happy with it.  It is also a key staple of a couple of other staff members here.

Awesome bit of kit – one of my desert island top 10.












Lucy – Shop Owner

No comments:

Post a Comment