Wednesday 15 February 2012

Staff Review: Mammut Redburn

When I (Jon) took delivery of my Mammut Redburn Shoes about 6 months ago, the first comment I had was 'they are VERY green!' (I got the Bud Green colour but we stock the Bark colour).  The colour did take a little getting used to and now 6 months on I am rather fond of them.

I wear them practically everyday be it in the shop, at the crag, out on the hill or around town and they have been super comfortable and supportive - particularly in the shop where I will be stood for 8 + hours on a solid floor, they are one of the few shoes that don't make my feet ache by the end of the day! 

Mammut has used some innovative features on the Redburns.  The shoe has been designed as a 'slipper' style shoe with a tongue made from a stretchy neoprene, so they are still easy to get on and off and very comfortable. I have found that this particular design helps eliminate the possibility of any nasty pressure points caused by the overlapping and folds that you can find with some more traditional tongue designs. Combining this 'slipper' design with down to toe lacing means that you can create a very precise fit - Ideal if your walks often end up with a vertical element to them!

Mammut have fitted the Redburn with a Gripex sole, which has a relatively aggressive tread.  It gives good grip on most surfaces.  They have also included a ‘Climbing Zone’ under the toe area to give maximum friction, making the Redburns an ideal choice if you want a shoe that you can wear all day at the crag, scrambling or on easy multi-pitch routes where the territory on the approach and decent doesn't quite demand the extra support you would get from a proper walking boot, or the technical level at which you might want to swap to a climbing shoe.

As far as performance and durability go after 6 months I have not had cause for concern; the soles are wearing nicely and still have a lot of life left in them.  The uppers have darkened so they are no longer neon green (which is fine by me). Overall I am very impressed and will definitely be buying another pair when I finally wear these out - however I will probably order a more practical colour next time!  

Jon - Shop Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment