Thursday 26 May 2011

Montane Featherlite Marathon Jacket Product Review

Montane Featherlite Marathon Jacket Product Review
By Fran Swallow

I was pleased to be given the opportunity by Campfour to use and review this lightweight jacket. Like many of my running peers in the Macclesfield Harriers I have a couple of jackets that I use in the less clement weathers that we love so much in sunny Cheshire, but I had never used a Montane Pertex one before. I have to admit that my preconceived ideas about it were that it would be too hot to run in unless very cold and very non waterproof in the sheeting rain.

Here are my comments:

Fit and Aesthetics
  
I particularly liked the fitted style (flapping jackets can be very annoying!)  The product tag describes it as “articulated arms with a slight drop tail”,  I’m not sure what “articulated arms” means (will it help me run faster??) but there was no arm restriction, a very comfortable fit, and the elasticated cuff stopped the sleeves riding up. The jacket I reviewed was a size 10, the same as my clothing size, this gave enough space to easily get a couple of layers underneath if needed.

As you can see there are several bright reflective “scotchlite” strips good for night time visibility; the colour (cherry) was a good choice for me as I’m not a big fan of the bright fluorescent options. Other options for colour are Azure (blue) vivid green and fluorescent yellow. The zip was lightweight but easy to manipulate (I can get numb hands in the cold)
The jacket seems to be very well made, no unfinished seams, and the material feels strong (although I’ve not actively tried to rip it, as I like it too much!!) Like all jackets it wouldn’t react well with barbed wire but would no doubt be patchable.
I’m not a fan of running in smelly kit and another  big plus for me was the fact that this item can be washed at 40 degrees without any fancy treatments, very easy to maintain. The label states not to iron (I wouldn’t do this!) which made me smile, but nobody has commented that I look creased!


Weight
  
Using the jacket it did feel very lightweight, and it was interesting to compare weights with my existing Pertex jacket (won’t mention the brand!) as you can see above, the Montane weighed less than half as much. The jacket bag (which is tiny when packed!) has a Velcro strap on the side so could be used on a drinks belt if liked. For me, I’ve tended to stuff it in the corner of a bum bag (not in its mesh bag) which is just as economical with space.

The Jacket in Use

Use in Different conditions:
  • Dry and cold :Good , the mesh chest pockets helped to keep it non sweaty, nice to get a couple of layers underneath.
  • Dry and warm: Good to start with but I would generally take it off after about 20 mins. Easy to tie around neatly to carry.
  • Drizzle and cold:  Good didn’t feel like I was getting particularly wet.
  • Pouring rain and cold: (This was the one that surprised me) While there was no doubt I was wet, the jacket offered a significant wind proof layer, keeping me warmer than without an outer layer.

I run both around the roads and in the hills and the jacket performed well in both areas. I think if I was out for more than a couple of hours, or with a bad forecast,  in the hills/ exposed conditions, I’d take a more waterproof jacket as well for extra back up.

Pertex/ Breathability

Breathable running jackets are always a difficult topic! Since when you are exercising sweat is produced, there is always going to be an element of dampness!! However, because this Pertex is so lightweight and with the nifty design of two mesh vents concealed on the front, this jacket did offer good breathability, much better than my existing one. I think Pertex does have its uses,(I also have a pair of Pertex trousers) not great for prolonged exposure (all day) to heavy rain but  a good wind proof option in less extreme conditions for a few hours.

Value for Money

I am happy to admit that my approach to kit is “less is more” i.e: I don’t have a great deal and get along just fine. That said, if I can find something that I really like and is good for a variety of conditions, then I would be very pleased. From my testing, this jacket does seem to tick all the boxes, so at £45 if I can use it for several years then it is good value for money.

Conclusion

I am happy to admit that I am hooked and have been proved wrong in my preconceptions. 
  • Very lightweight/ packs small
  • Comfortable fit
  • Easy to keep clean
  • Good in a variety of conditions
I recommend that you add one to your running wardrobe today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment